Monday, June 27, 2011

When she's away

M has been visiting her grandparents in Indiana this week.

I admire their can-do attitude. After all, living so far away from our New England home, they really aren't exposed to the daily inconvenience of living with Type 1. But they are unafraid. They enjoy M and her love for life. They know that she is capable, and they invited her to come visit them for the week. Just her and them.

I talked to her on the phone and it sounds like she is having a ball. And she claims that her bg levels are good.

I find this last piece of information believable, actually. I have to say that her bg levels have been pretty good lately, with very few highs over 200, and an average bg of about 140. We will Carelink her when she gets home, though, just to be sure.

She will be flying home solo. I can't wait to hear about her going through airport security on her own with her insulin pump.

In the meantime, it's been pretty quiet around here. (Not at work! That's been crazy!) At home, where there was some raucousness, there isn't any.

Here are some odd things that reminded me that, although my D-daughter was not here all week, I am clearly a D-parent.

  • While sweeping the floor, I picked up purple needle covers from an insulin pen that M hasn't used in two months.
  • I set aside the french fry bag at dinner the other night, so that M could calculate how many carbs she was going to consume. After about 20 minutes of it sitting there, I realized that no one was going to use that bag for anything.
  • I made sugar free pudding, when there was perfectly good sugar filled pudding on the shelf.
  • I kept picking up the insulin bottle on the kitchen counter to check how much was in it.
  • I made too much bacon for Saturday breakfast. Bacon is M's favorite 0 carb food. Leftovers are usually non-existent.
  • I picked up the sharps container to check how full it was. Twice.
They're these little things we never think about. I just do them because they are a constant part of life; like feeding the dog or shaving my legs.

The good news is that I won't feel so crazy doing any of these things once M gets home.

Now if only I would stop talking to the dog when I am alone....

I don't know what you're saying, but it had better involve bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment