Friday, June 24, 2011

Lions and Angels

After M was diagnosed, several people told me that I simply must send her to diabetes camp, that it did wonders for their child, niece, grandson, the neighbor's kid.

The fact of the matter was that M was diagnosed at a very inconvenient time. Inconvenient because a) I was broke, and b) camp sign-ups were already done for the year.

A buddy of mine from church also asked if I was planning to send M to diabetes camp. I told her that I would like to the following year, but I wasn't sure if I would or not. She was wise enough to read between the lines, and told me that she was part of the Lion's Club. These are the same people that collect old pairs of glasses to help people who can't otherwise afford them. She said that they usually have scholarships for kids going to diabetes camp. I told her I would keep it in mind for the following year.

The following year, my buddy reminded me to apply for a scholarship for M. I didn't think we'd qualify, and I was afraid that even if we did, we would not be able to pay the balance. We were getting by, but things were really tight. I thought we might have to pass up camp again this year.

Then Auntie Jeanne stepped in.

Auntie Jeanne is M's godmother, guardian angel, and fantastic human being. In fact, when I discuss her with people outside our shared social circle, I refer to her as "Auntie Jeanne" so that she will not be mixed up with any of the other, less important, Jeannes in my life.

Auntie Jeanne offered to pay for a large chunk of M's diabetes camp.

I cried.

Then I applied for the scholarship.

The Lion's club paid $900 of M's camper fees, leaving only $300. Jeanne paid the balance.

I am so grateful for groups like the Lion's club, who make it possible for kids like mine to attend a camp that would otherwise be out of their reach.

I wept again after dropping M off at camp, so grateful that my daughter would have this opportunity to be with other kids who had to watch what they eat and inject themselves with insulin. I am not glad that there were so many of them, but I was glad that they weren't alone: that they had to explain nothing to anyone. Although the focus of camp is diabetes, in some ways it is like a diabetic vacation.

M was a big hit at diabetes camp. She went bass fishing, wrote at the camp newspaper, made videos, went swimming, and generally had a ball. People hugged her like mad when she left.

And she can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment