Thursday, April 26, 2012

No choice

So a few weeks ago I receive a letter from our insurance company.

It states that my daughter is on a medication that is "no longer a preferred medication".  And I think to myself, "Really. The only medication that she uses is insulin. Did you have an alternative for insulin you HMO bastard pieces of shit?" (We actually have a PPO, but I just love that quote.)

Upon further investigation, it seems that Caremark has decided that it no longer wants to work with Humalog (from the Eli Lily company in Indiana), and prefers to work with Novolog (from Novo Nordisk, a company in Denmark). They stated in their letter that failure to switch to the preferred medication may result in loss of coverage for the current medication.

This makes me nervous.

Why? Because the one student I know for sure uses this stuff has very wild swings in blood sugar during the day. His mother and I spoke about different kinds of insulins at a school event. She was touting Novolog as better because it works faster, more like natural insulin.

I thought that maybe we would try it, eventually. Maybe it would work more effectively with M's lifestyle, but we would wait to do it over the summer, if we did try it, so that we could monitor the effects of the change on her system without too much life getting in the way.

But the insurance company threw off my time line.

I asked another diabetic student about which insulin she used. She said that she uses Humalog, and that she had tried Novolog, but after trying it, her doctor wrote her a letter stating that she needed to switch back for medical reasons.

What were the medical reasons?

She wears her pump very discreetly, snaking the tubing from a pocket in her jeans to the infusion set on her thigh. While using Novolog, she said that she was developing divots on her thighs at the infusion site. Her doctor noticed that her muscles were withering where the Novolog entered her system, and successfully appealed the insurance company mandate.

I was a little alarmed.

I brought my concerns to our DNE, who immediately poo-pooed the idea. She had never heard of any of the problems to which I was referring. She told us that "There is no difference between the insulins, and anyone who tells you otherwise is blowing smoke."

After careful consideration, we chose to give Novolog a try without appealing the decisions of the insurance company. We hope that all will go well, and that we won't have to fight for an appeal in the future.

With lacrosse season starting up, I am hopeful that this new medication will interact with M and her lifestyle smoothly.

But I know better.

No adjustment is simple in D-world.

I will be sharpening my swords for battle, just in case.
Please don't make me use this.



No comments:

Post a Comment