Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Paranoia

Recently, Joanne blogged about what is known in the DOC as "the thought." Her son is approaching the age at which her daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. "The thought" has also been addressed by Kerri, a diabetic mother with a not-quite-two-year-old.

"The thought" plagues every parent that has diabetes, or has a child with diabetes. "The thought" is the idea that perhaps another one of our loved ones will be stricken with this disease.

You see, nearly everyone's Type 1 diabetes diagnosis has a similar story. " I felt sick/ nauseous/ fatigued for two/ three weeks. I was eating/ drinking all of the time. I was also extremely moody. I thought I was just suffering from a bad cold/ going through a growth spurt. After a while, I went/was taken to the doctor, where I found out that I lost 10/ 14 / 20 pounds in those couple of weeks. The doctor tested my blood sugar and it was 470/635/900. I didn't really know what that meant until I found out that a normal person's blood sugar readings are between 80 and 100."

(FYI: M's story is nauseous, fatigued, three weeks, eating, cold and growth spurt, 20 lbs, bg of 635).

But, as you can see, the symptoms of diabetes can easily be misconstrued as a bad cold, mono, or a mild case of the flu. In fact, in ancient times, there was only one way to identify whether someone had diabetes. One had to taste the patient's urine. If it was really sweet, then one knew that the person had diabetes and was going to die within a year or two. (Yikes!)

The point is, the symptoms of diabetes are very similar to those of many other, less life-threatening maladies. A list of such common symptoms can make things a little harrowing for those of us who have gone through the process of Type 1 diagnosis in the past.

Case in point: M has an older brother. Not one full year after M was diagnosed, he started exhibiting these symptoms: fatigue, pallid complexion, unusual thirst, and weight loss.

My mind went right to diabetes.

Now perhaps this seems crazy to a medical professional. After all, M is the ONLY person in my giant extended family with Type 1. The closest relative we could find that had it was my father's cousin's grandson. (What is that, her 17th cousin 7 times removed? I never understood how that worked...). Indeed I wondered if I might be a little paranoid.

But I felt better after talking with Bill.

I asked, "Do you think I'm crazy for thinking that our son could possibly have diabetes?"

I felt so much less crazy when he said this:

"No. I'm thinking that it could be diabetes. Of course we are thinking it could be diabetes. Why wouldn't we?"

Which is one of the many reasons I love this man.

The quick answer was to use May's bg meter on her brother to learn that his bg was normal, which it was. He just had a bad cold. But I will tell you that the 5 seconds of waiting for the result were the longest 5 seconds we had had in a long time.

I see diabetes everywhere. One week my dog seems especially thirsty. Does she have diabetes? I have a student who seems increasingly pale and tired. Does she have diabetes?

It's nerve-wracking.

"The thought" even makes people feel guilty for thinking it, as if by thinking it, we might make it happen.

"The thought" robs people of normalcy.

Well, at least the normalcy you can have while checking, double checking, and triple checking bg levels, adjusting insulin doses, tracking all food consumption, waking up in the middle of the night to make sure your kid is still breathing, etc.

But seriously, with all the punishment that comes with diabetes, it seems that "the thought" just adds insult to injury.

We must rally to find a cure for "the thought".

I don't know if this quite qualifies as a "cure" but maybe it's a start!



1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I've absolutely loved your blog. I worked for the past 2 years at Children's Hospital in DC with kids with type 1, and you have such a great take on so many issues that we would see.

    ReplyDelete