Thursday, September 1, 2011

Flu shots

As I drive around scouting Back to School sales, I have begun to notice those signs cropping up outside of pharmacies.



Back in my more carefree days, I thought flu shots were for the elderly and infirm.

I have scoffed at flu shots, thinking that they were an unnecessary expense and a hassle. I had heard too many stories about people getting a mild case of the flu from the flu shot, and I thought that I would take my chances with the real flu.

My gambling paid off. My kids had never had neither the shot nor the flu. After 21 years of teaching, I have had the flu twice. Each time it was two horrible days of torture, and then it was over.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

But then M was diagnosed with diabetes, and I had to reconsider my relationship with the flu shot. I hated to do it, but she was going to have to get it.

Every year.

Vomiting is just too big a deal when you are diabetic.

Another one of life's choices robbed by diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment