Saturday, March 19, 2011

The phone call

So, I made the call. I contacted our area rep for Medtronic to order M's pump.

I called on a Tuesday. From work. I left a brief message as instructed. No one called back.

M asked me three times that afternoon, "Will you call again tomorrow?"

Yes, of course. Darling.

I call the next day. I leave a brief message. I state that I would not be calling again so soon, except that I have an eager 13-year-old breathing down my neck.

When I get home, the return phone call arrives.

The rep, Lindsay, is very polite, and explains to me that she has had the flu, or else she would have called sooner.

I again explain the 13-year-old neck-breather-downer, and tell her that there are no worries.

Then Lindsay does her job. Questions are asked: age of patient, number of months/years since the diagnosis, height and weight. Then insurance questions: Type, Group number, Subscriber number, Subscriber name, Subscriber's place of employment and birth date. MY birth date, address, phone number, place of employment. The insurance company's phone number and address. M's DNE, endocrinologist, clinic/hospital. Number of units of insulin currently used, what types, how often M checks her bg, how often she receives injections, how many carbs she eats per meal, and what her bg range has been over the last 30 days.

THEN, we get to the good stuff: what color pump, what style, and which infusion set. I am asked what size reservoir she will need.

How should I know?

Apparently, according to her height and weight, M is right on the cusp of needing the larger reservoir, which means a different model than the one with the smaller reservoir. Lindsay and I agree to ask the DNE her opinion on the matter. Lindsay assures me that our DNE is "great" and "very organized", and will be a good resource for the information that Lindsay is seeking.

Lindsay also murmurs something about a four year commitment to the pump, which upon further reflection is probably something I should ask about. I suspect it has to do with how often insurance will let you upgrade the pump.

I am told that Lindsay will be sending me some forms to fill out. I am to fax them back to her. After she talks with our insurance to learn how much is covered, she will then contact us to tell us when the pump will be shipped.

And by the way, it needs to be shipped somewhere where a person can sign for it. Can she ship it my place of work?

No.

I work in a high school, where over 1,000 people go in and out of the main office every day. No, no, no, not at all.

I decide to have it sent to M's little Montessori school. 80 kids, six adults, all of them responsible. Plus M can lovingly cradle the box when it arrives.

Once it arrives, we will set up an appointment for "pump training."

Lindsay sends me the (redundant) form to be signed. I fax it from a friend's house, and warn M's principal about the package that might be arriving in a couple of weeks. She expresses her excitement for M.

Fingers are crossed. Breath is held. Novenas are being said.

Soon we will know the answer to the burning question: how much is this sucker going to cost us?

Just a few more questions, Mrs. Huber.

No comments:

Post a Comment