Monday, March 14, 2011

Belly adventures

Over the next few days we discuss the infusion sets.

I, like wimp, last fewer than 24 hours with the infusion set in my body. After whining about how aware I am of its presence in my body, M suggests that I remove my pinch-y feeling mio set, with the small amount of blood that is trapped in its tube. With a nod to "if you insist," I begin the process of removing the set. This proved to be harder than I had anticipated. The adhesive was very strong. I tried pulling it off like an adhesive bandage, but I had a hard time even finding a place to begin peeling the adhesive up. I picked at it with my fingernail until I got what appeared to be a likely location to begin pulling.

Have you ever tried removing any kind of industrial five gallon tub lid? Or a paint can lid? It was a similar experience on a smaller scale. Just when I thought I had it off, some part of the adhesive had stuck itself back down again.

The jiggly belly again proved unhelpful. Pull on the adhesive, and one's belly skin, and all the charm that comes with it, also pull upward. Not to mention that I really couldn't see the set very well over the obstacles that Frank Zappa, God rest his soul, affectionately called "mammalian protruberances."

I had to summon help in the form of a 13-year-old diabetic.

M peeled up the adhesive and instructed me to pull on the device itself. With the mio, one pulls the device out straight.

I did as I was told.

It didn't hurt or anything. I dutifully placed the set in the sharps container.

M wore her sets for the two days that she was told to wear them. I, like a mother, kept requesting status reports.

I asked, "Can you feel them now?" probably about every three hours or so. M was patient. Maybe it's because she is so excited. Sometimes she would say without irony, "Oh, yeah! I forgot I was wearing them!" Then she would break into a very satisfied smile. She was truly thrilled to realize that neither device made her feel uncomfortable.

Overall she was more aware of the presence of the Quick Set than the Silhouette, a fact that surprised her a bit. After showering, she also found that the Silhouette adhesive held on better. Strong adhesive is important to M, because she really likes to swim. After day number two, M declared that the Silhouette was her infusion set of choice.

Unlike her mother, she removed both sets without issue.

So, infusion set chosen, I am prepared to make "the phone call". It is time to order the pump from our regional representative. I have been thus instructed: Minimed, dark purple, with the Silhouette infusion set. Hurry up.

Let's hope that our insurance will cover this baby!


In assorted colors! Purple, please!

2 comments:

  1. When I read "Minimed", I suddenly had visions of Austen Powers with his pinkie lifted saying, "Minimed". I think he would appreciate a dark purple one too! ;) Way to go! I'm so excited for M! And I have my fingers crossed on the insurance issues! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a tip, the set comes off easier if you remove it in the shower and put soap around where the adhesive is.

    ReplyDelete