Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Prayers of thanks

I love my life. I feel very blessed and I appreciate everything that I have. When I pray, I always make sure to thank God for everything he has given me and my family. I have always thanked him for our home, our jobs, the means to pay our numerous bills and our good health.

This last one, however,  has had me stumped for the last year or so.

My daughter is technically in "good" health. She routinely has an A1C of 6.5 or lower. She is active, beautiful, energetic and creative.

Now I am not trying to gyp God out of his due. M is alive and enjoying her life. But is she actually in "good" health? She has to test her blood glucose 6 times per day. She has to give herself an injection every time she eats. And most notably, she can DIE from this disease and its complications, even if she does everything that she is supposed to.

So when I pray my thanks, I include good health, but I wince internally at even mentioning it. I know that the Almighty knows all about my doubts, so I feel somewhat hypocritical every time I include it.

If only I could add an asterisk, much like the one earned by Barry Bonds when his home run record is mentioned. Yes, he actually HIT the home runs. And M FEELS healthy. The record registers the appearance and the achievement, but with the caveat that the circumstances were not, should we say, normal.

So I guess my prayers would look something like this:

Lord,
Thank you for everything that you have given me and my family. Thank you for blessing us with a place to live, a job that I love, a wonderful husband and children, and the means to pay for all of our needs. Thank you for our continued good health*, and the continued good health of those we love. Thank you for blessing us with supportive friends and family, and please continue to bless us with their presence. I appreciate all of these gifts God, and offer you my sincerest thanks.
 Amen.
Thank you for our good health*

No comments:

Post a Comment