Monday, November 22, 2010

Alivabetes

A student is selling silicone bracelets in the hallway at the school where I teach. You know, the kinds like the yellow "Livestrong" bracelets for cancer. I distinctly heard him say "diabetes camp". I asked the young man who was going to diabetes camp. He said that his sister and his cousin were both trying to raise money to go.

Which camp? Camp Carefree. This is where M went to camp last year. It was a great experience for her to spend two weeks being "normal" with other kids with diabetes.

I examined the bracelet. It was white and green and had the word "Alivabetes".  I bought one. I read the card that came with it. "When 8 year old Jocelyn was diagnosed with diabetes, she asked if she was going to die. The doctor told her no, so she decided that they should call it alivabetes"

Cool.

To order one or more of these bracelets to support Jocelyn and other kids going to Camp Carefree, you can go to http://funsantamail.com/Alivabetes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment