Saturday, December 22, 2012

Dominoes

Last week, M woke up with a pretty nice bg level: 125 mg/dl.

Then she ate a low carb breakfast of bacon, eggs, and half of a hamburger roll (Don't ask me about the hamburger roll. I was not part of that discussion, if there was one).

We arrived at church about an hour later. We were early. M reached toward the glove compartment, saying, "I feel low". She retrieved a handful of Smartees.

"Please check your blood sugar," I said.

It's 35.

We popped our seatbelts back on and cruised to the pharmacy, where I hurriedly plucked some glucose tabs off of the shelf in the back where there are about 58,000 bg meters on display. Then, knowing that M is often thirsty when her bg is especially high or low, I grabbed a water bottle.

I gratefully approached the customer-free counter, payed for the items, and jogged out to the car, where M started chomping down tabs.

I pulled out the calculator app on my phone and estimated that she should eat 3 glucose tabs (15 carbs) in addition to the two packs of Smartees (13 carbs total) that she has already eaten. Any more would start her on an upward spiral. At roughly 5 mg/dl increase per carb that M eats, she should have a nice bg level of 140, which would give us a little wiggle room.

We returned to the church, attended mass, and met M's boyfriend du jour and his mother in the parking lot afterwards. M had plans to spend time at their house that day. Since they live near the church, and not near our home, we decided to meet them there. I, at this point, am having my doubts about the wisdom of sending M to someone else's house, but I assume that her bg will be in a more comfortable range at this hour. We did the typical pre-departure bg check: 37mg/dl.

Panic ensues. I mean, she just ate a pile of pure sugar an hour ago. If anything, she should have a higher-than-ideal bg level. How could this have happened?

I had a quick conference with M. "How much did you bolus for this morning?"
Answer: "42 carbs"

I would like to pause here for a moment to point out that M handles these fact-finding inquiries much better now. A year and a half ago if I had asked any questions pertaining to figuring out "how this had happened" she would become angry, defensive, and startlingly teen-like.

But back to our story.

Let's revisit the aforementioned breakfast: bacon, eggs, half of a hamburger roll. Bacon: zero carbs. Eggs: zero carbs. A whole hamburger roll: 30 carbs so HALF should be 15 carbs. 15 carbs total for the meal. Not 42 carbs.

Insulin for 42 carbs is way more insulin than M needed this morning. We are lucky that she hasn't passed out yet. I ran into the church hall and grabbed her a coke. I ordered her to drink the whole thing: 39 carbs of fast-acting sugar. Times five is nearly 200. In theory, her bg should be 242 in a matter of minutes.

At this point I would like to point out that Boyfriend's mother is a nurse. As such, she insisted on having M over for the day despite the scary numbers we were reading in the parking lot. After all, she can handle it (which I know she can). I worriedly agreed, and asked that M promise to call me in one hour.

After two hours and no phone call, I called her. Boyfriend's mom tells me that M's bg is still low. It's about 48 - 50 mg/dl. She's having her hang around on the couch instead of helping paint the house as planned. She is forcing orange juice in 4 oz portions. She is making her check her bg every half hour.

Two more hours went by, and I called again. This time I spoke with M. She told me that her bg was now 325. After multiple attempts to bring up her bg, we have now overcompensated. She just bolused, sending insulin through her body to bring her bg back to normal. Boyfriend's mom tells M that she expected this. That we all expected this. Now we need to be careful and not overdo it again.

But no luck. When I picked up M two hours later, her bg was 53.

AAAAAUGH!

After 24 hours, we were back on course. But there is a valuable lesson to be learned here: really think about the number of carbs for which you are bolusing. Over-correction can be frustrating, time-consuming, exhausting, and dangerous.

And it can set off a chain-reaction for which we are unprepared.

It's amazing how life stops when these incidents happen. Our only focus is to get back to normal.

Well, diabetic normal.

Let's just say that rather than cleaning up after ourselves, it's easier not to start tipping that row of dominoes to begin with.

And let's thank God that that these incidents don't happen very often.


2 comments:

  1. Scary stuff. Is it possible the glucose measuring is out of whack somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much doubt that the glucose measure was out of whack, but it is hard with a diabetic not to get panicky when results don't happen at the rate you expect. In our case, we were not seeing the bg rates go up the way we expected. Then learning that M had over bolused for breakfast made it much harder to gauge what to do. Until we saw something in the somewhat normal range, we could only continue to raise the sugar intake a little at a time. Overdoing it is not uncommon on both ends of the spectrum. There is a phenomenon called "rage bolusing", where people continue to override their pump's safety equipment in order to bring down a stubbornly high bg level. Of course, not having been with M during several hours of her attempts to manage makes her low makes it harder for me to know exactly what happened to bring it up so high.

    ReplyDelete