Thursday, December 29, 2011

Rocking chairs

I first became aware of my new perspective when the Chilean coal miners were trapped below the surface in 2010. I was impressed by their fortitude. I was impressed by their hope. And I was impressed by their will to survive.

Then I heard that at least one of the miners was diabetic.

The D-mom in my brain started shrieking, "How is he going to properly manage his disease? Will he survive? Will he die? How did he survive the 17 days without any insulin at all? Does he carry insulin with him to work?"

I came upon this realization: I am D-Mom to the world.

Not only do I worry about my own little pumpkin, but I worry about all of the little diabetic pumpkins out there in the world. When disaster strikes, who is going to take care of them? Who is going to make sure, that in the event of an earthquake or a tsunami, that these people will get the life-giving insulin that they need?

Now barring any level of independent wealth, I am not sure I can do anything about this problem, except worry.

Worry is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.”  - Anonymous

So, whenever there is an earthquake, tsunami, nuclear disaster, flood or tornado in the news, you can bet that I am rocking in my rocking chair, wondering, "Is everyone okay?" and "Who is looking out for the diabetics?"




Diabetic pumpkins on the brain...



1 comment:

  1. Love the quote. Deeply admire what you bring to the conversation. Thankfully no diabetes in my family at this time but my best friend growing up was and I often had a hand in managing it for him. Learned a lot more than I ever thought I would.

    ReplyDelete