Thursday, October 13, 2011

Concussion

As I may have mentioned, M is the goalie for her field hockey team. Although she has never played before this season, her improvement has been marked.

Earlier this week, however, her team got a new kind of penalty that neither she nor I had heard of. A player fell on the ball, apparently covering it with her body.

I guess this was a serious one, because M was set up in the goal while the rest of her team was set up behind the midline. A girl on the other team was given a one-on-one shot at the goal.

The girl wound up and smacked the ball. It traveled in an upward fashion, hitting May on the front of her (helmeted) head.

It would have been a lot cooler if it had deflected right back into the field, but instead it went into the corner of the goal.

I wondered if it hurt. So when M returned for a time out, I asked her how she felt. She said, "I have a wicked headache!"

Somewhat alarmed, but not panicked, I asked if she wanted some Tylenol. She said she would be fine, and finished out the game.

It is three days later, and she still has the headache. She took "the concussion test", which she did not want to do ("It's so friggin' long!"), and it came back as "not a concussion" but with "22 symptoms."

While I wait to hear from the trainer about her recommendations regarding a doctor visit, I decide to look up information about diabetes and concussions.

To my dismay, I found something. It seems that diabetics do not "withstand impacts to the head" as well as non-diabetics. This is something I had never thought about, and is certainly not up there with the "diabetic feet" issues that are so frequently communicated to the diabetic community.

Why, you may ask, would having diabetes matter to your head with regard to impact?

Evidently, if brain cells contain high levels of glucose and magnesium, they are practically invincible. Unfortunately, since the diabetic body doesn't use glucose very efficiently, and depletion of magnesium nearly always predates insulin resistance (in Type 2),  we have the perfect cocktail of brain cells' natural defenses going down.

Not good.

In the meantime, I will wait for advice from the trainer and the school nurse.

And I will look up new and exciting things for me to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment