Friday, August 26, 2011

504 plan

I have mentioned before that I teach in high school.

I may have also mentioned that my kids attended Montessori schools and my older son attended a Catholic high school.

I have never really had the "public school" experience before. At least not from the parenting end.

Now, as a teacher, I receive 504 plans at the beginning of every semester. These plans tell me which student needs special accommodations, eg: make sure this child doesn't eat peanut products, make sure this child is able to use the bathroom as often as he likes, please allow child to eat in classroom, etc.

Now that M is entering public high school, I realize that she probably needs a 504 plan.

The problem is this: I didn't know I was supposed to write the darn thing!

Now, don't ask me who I thought was supposed to write it. I guess I thought that some medical professional would do it. Our DNE, the school nurse, somebody else that wasn't me. Someone that know what they are doing.

Our DNE gave me a sample 504 plan, prepared by the ADA and the DREDF. The sample was lengthy (8 pages!) , and sounded punitive: "Do this or else!" - not exactly the coalition-building language I was seeking. Being a teacher myself, I found the approach of the sample a little offensive. It assumed that I couldn't be trusted to know that if a kid leaves for health management reasons, he should not be penalized.

So I did what any ambivalent parent might do: I tried to get out of writing it.

I e-mailed the guidance counselor who helped M put together her schedule, and asked if I really needed a 504 plan. After all, I reasoned in the e-mail, we interviewed the nurse before we even decided to enroll M in this school, and decided that she was capable. M is independent with her diabetes management so, aside from the occasional snack in class or walk to the nurse' office, she should be fine. Couldn't I just e-mail the teachers, explain what's going on, and talk with them like civilized human beings?

The short answer was no.

"A 504 plan is a very important legal document that protects all of the individuals involved."

I sighed, understanding that people feel better when there is a form filled out somewhere. I also understand that a 504 plan can simplify things for people new to diabetes.

But I don't wanna! It looks hard. And redundant.

I think I would be far more keen to write and implement a plan if M were a frail 6-year-old with Type 1, rather than the robust 14-year-old that she has become. She is far more independent and less distractable than many children who are younger. Also, since most people are diagnosed with diabetes as children or young adults, it makes sense that more children are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes by the time they hit high school. As a result, I think that a lot more teachers and staff have been exposed to and understand Type 1 diabetes at the high school level.

I pondered my justifications for being a lazy butthead, and continued reading the e-mail, disappointed.

The guidance counselor indicated that the e-mail I sent him would be forwarded to M's regular guidance counselor, so that he could be in touch with me. The regular guidance counselor and I would write the 504 together.

Well today, I got an e-mail from M's regular guidance counselor. This is what it said:

We have several students in the school who have diabetes and other medical issues. They are managed by the school nurse- in my opinion - extremely well. All teachers are notified and the nurse develops a close relationship with the student with daily check-ins as needed. This is available without a 504 plan.

Of course as a parent you have a right to a 504 plan if you would like. I guess I would suggest that maybe we start off without one and see how things go. We can always develop a 504 plan at any time should any party feel it necessary.

Let me know how you would like to proceed or if you would like to come in and meet me.

And I think, "YES!"

Believing that my laziness has paid off, I triumphantly shoot the regular guidance counselor an e-mail, telling him that I think that the "wait and see" approach is a great idea.


But then I realize that laziness is not going to happen. I have decided that I will print up a diabetic cheat sheet for M's teachers, like I did for her coaches, and give them my contact information in case they have any questions.

I comfort myself with the thought that it will probably take less time to write than the 504. And hopefully the language will not be punitive.

And then we'll wait and see. 

Of course, we still have about 20 other forms to fill out!

No comments:

Post a Comment