Monday, January 17, 2011

Look who else had diabetes

As a Spanish teacher, it is practically required that I be the advisor for the school's Spanish Club, which I am. One of kids in the club has Type 1. On one particular day, he had a low during our meeting. I will discuss the details of his low another time. We got him out of his low by feeding him, and made him feel better by having him drink water.

There is a parent who usually tags along for these meetings, primarily because his daughter forgets to tell him to pick her up later that day. In addition, she is a kindly daughter, who doesn't mind other kids knowing that she has parents. She does not make her father sit in the car for an hour while she is in the meeting. This parent is relatively unobtrusive, and periodically makes helpful comments or suggestions to the group about whatever project we are doing.

During my student's low, this parent seemed to have a strong handle on what was going on. He did not freak out, say unwise things, or feed into the slightly panicked feeling that some of our club members were feeling when our Type 1 friend said that he felt dizzy. Nor did he try to step in and take over.

After everyone had left the meeting, the parent and his daughter stuck around for a moment. I went in for the kill.

"May I ask who in your family has diabetes?"

Dad said, "I do."

Ah. He really is an expert.

"I've had diabetes for 43 years. I got it when I was 11."

Holy smokes! I am 43 years old. Forty-three years with diabetes sounds like a long time. What a bummer.

On the other hand, I hope M gets to have 43 years or more of healthy looking life. Without diabetes would be better, but seeing this parent makes me think the alternative might not be so bad.

Long story short, Dad has a pump. He is very grateful to have a pump. He thinks that large doses of Lantus are dangerous, and that we should work to get M on the pump right away.

This statement is a direct contradiction to what my cousin, who has Type 2, told me. He told me that the only two friends he had who used a pump are dead. He told me that I had better REALLY research the pump, because it's dangerous.

You might see how parenting a child with diabetes can be scary. Basically, you are looking for the treatment that is less likely to kill or do permanent damage to your child. It stinks.

Pump users can be pretty persuasive, especially after you pepper them with all of your well-thought-out questions. The questions that have been keeping you up at night. After speaking with this parent, and with the parent of my Type-1-low-member-of-the-Spanish-Club, I may be leaning toward the pump. M and I have an appointment with her Diabetes Nurse Educator in a few weeks. Will keep you posted.
Now it's time to pepper the DNE with questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment