Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cake

Cake makes me mad.

Why? Because it frustrates M. She always loved cake. But when her new lifetime pal diabetes came along we discovered, practically right away, that cake gave her problems.

I have other diabetic friends and acquaintances who have shared with me their own freaky food sensitivities. I know people who can eat cake with no problem; no significant change to their blood glucose levels. But they can't eat carrots. Or maybe potatoes. Cherries. Bread. Peanut butter. For some weird reason, not all diabetics react to the same foods the same way.

I have tried to rationalize the cake problem. I have thought about the glycemic index, the inability of the FDA to properly estimate the amount of carbs in bakery items and various other random thoughts. But I think that it's "just one of those things".

I found myself in a conversation with a parent of a non-diabetic sufferer of celiac disease. She was talking about how challenging it is for her child to attend social functions filled with gluten. I could sympathize. I explained M's cake problem. Despite her knowledge about gluten and foods in general, this piece of information flummoxed my new friend.

New Friend: How could carbs from cake be any different than carbs from anything else?

Me: I don't know.

New Friend: Did you try lots of different kinds of cakes?

Me: Oh, yes. She can eat ice cream cake.

New Friend: But why can't she eat cake? That's weird.

Me: I don't know. Yes it is.

Sure, technically M could eat cake. She did. Several times. Each time, we gave her an irrationally large dose of insulin to cover the intake of carbohydrates. Each time, her blood glucose readings were through the roof.

M decided that giving up cake was easier than feeling the swoon of high blood sugar afterwards.

We have adapted. Ice cream cake it is.

I am sorry it is weird. Too bad.

Stupid cake.
Sometimes the cake makers are stupid, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment